Evaluation of the board provides an opportunity for the board to take stock of its contributions, establish a learning agenda around emerging issues and needs, and strengthen the board/president relationship. A mutually agreeable evaluation process creates a proactive forum where the leadership needs of the institution, and the new and emerging leadership role for the board, can be considered.
ACCT’s role is to give encouragement, constructive challenges, and impartial advice to boards as they strive to best serve their institutions, grow professionally and communicate effectively.
ACCT’s innovative process:
- pays strict attention to confidentiality and integrity
- focuses on impartial and fair reporting
- creates a customized survey that tackles the challenges and issues of the board leadership in a streamlined format
- analyzes assessment data and identifies areas of strength and concern for boards
- provides a summary report which sets the stage for strategic improvements and establishing performance goals
- acts as a "Third Voice," a critical advantage
- facilitates a customized board retreat in conjunction with the summary report giving the board an opportunity to engage in constructive dialog on how to close the "gaps" between expectations and performance
- A summary report of findings is prepared and presented to the board either by a retreat consultant, or simply sent with our written recommendations/comments
- coordinates a fair and confidential process to distribute and tabulate quantitative and qualitative data from trustees
Description of Services
Preparation, administration and analysis of data:
- Survey instruments customized to fit the desires and needs of the board.
- Design of the instruments and process for gathering data from individual trustees. Accuracy is critical.
- Distribution and administration of the surveys.
- Trustees complete self-assessment form on board’s performance (rate both board and individual performance).
- Collection and tabulation of responses.
- Preparation of confidential report.
- Review findings and recommendations with board by conference call, or:
On-site presentation of reports:
- Facilitation of review and discussion
- Presentation of findings by ACCT retreat consultant.
- Distribute and discuss the summary findings from the completed surveys on the board’s self-assessment. Board will have an opportunity to meet (with or without President), and discuss self-assessment.
- Open constructive dialog to frame recommendations and expectations for the next review period
- Discuss accomplishments and items needing further attention by the board and individual trustees
- Set goals and priorities, and the time frame, for the next self-assessment process.
- Preparation of formal communication and records to insure follow-up
For more information please contact:
Dr. Narcisa Polonio, Vice President for Education, Research and Board Services