Now Available: New Policy Brief on Leveraging Community Colleges in Workforce
Today, Education Commission of the States released 10 new policy briefs focused on the interaction between state- and federal-level policies pertaining to higher education. ACCT Senior Policy Analyst Colleen Campbell and Policy Analyst Ivy Love co-authored one of the series briefs, which serves as a resource for community college leaders.
Leveraging Community Colleges in the Workforce and Innovation and Opportunity Act is a blueprint for taking a federated approach through which federal, state and local policymakers, educational institutions, and the nonprofit and private sectors come together to build a better system.
Other topics in the series include:
- Wiping the Slate Clean: A new federalism for the 21st century student by Dr. James L. Applegate, Executive Director, Illinois Board of Higher Education and Mary Fulton, Senior Policy Analyst, Education Commission of the States.
- Rethinking the Federal-State Partnership for Free Community College: Early indicators from Oregon by Ben Cannon, Executive Director, Higher Education Coordinating Commission and Jennifer Joyalle, Doctoral Student, Portland State University.
- Rowing Together: Aligning state and federal investments in talent to common outcomes by Kristin D. Conklin, Partner, HCM, Martha Snyder, Director, HCM, Jeff Stanley, Chief of Staff, HCM and Scott Boelscher, Senior-Level Associate, HCM.
- Fixing Affordability: An approach for advancing federalism in the modern era by Michelle Asha Cooper, President, Institute for Higher Education Policy.
- Better Together? State and Federal Funding for Student Financial Aid by William R. Doyle, Associate Professor of Higher Education, Vanderbilt University and Sarah Pingel, Senior Policy Analyst, Education Commission of the States.
- Enhancing State Authorization: The need for action by states as stewards of higher education performance by Thomas Harnisch, Director of State Relations and Policy Analysis, American Association of State Colleges and Universities, Barmak Nassirian, Director of Federal Relations and Policy Analysis, American Association of State Colleges and Universities, Amber Saddler, Policy Assistant, EducationCounsel LLC and Art Coleman, Managing Partner and Co-founder, EducationCounsel LLC.
- Role Clarity: The interplay of entities funding higher educationby Dr. Christopher M. Mullin, Executive Vice Chancellor, Florida College System.
- Fast Track to College Success by Mary Nguyen Barry, Senior Policy Analyst, Education Reform Now.
- Creating an Ideal State-Federal Data Partnership to Improve Policymaking Related to College Affordability by Brian Prescott, Associate Vice President, National Center for Higher Education Management Systems, Demaree Michelau, Vice President, Policy Analysis and Research, Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education and Patrick Lane, Project Manager, Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education.
We encourage community college leaders to review these policy briefs and to continue to encourage and leverage state and federal partnerships to advance the community college movement. If you have any questions about the report Leveraging Community Colleges in the Workforce and Innovation and Opportunity Act, contact Colleen Campbell at email@example.com.