The Professional Board Staff Network (PBSN), under the aegis of the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT), will provide individuals at community colleges who support governing boards and/or presidents/CEOs with a focus on continued development and enhancement of professional skills, sharing expertise and best practices, keeping abreast of new developments, and becoming more proficient at rendering service to governing boards and/or presidents/CEOs.
The Professional Board Staff Network provides a national level resource for those who support governing boards and/or presidents/CEOs of community colleges.
To promote valuable opportunities for those who support governing boards and/or presidents/CEOs, the Professional Board Staff Network will:
- Provide ongoing professional development;
- Provide networking and interactive discussion for the growth of interpersonal relationships among national peers and colleagues;
- Provide national leadership opportunities as an officer of PBSN;
- Develop and present programs at the annual ACCT Congress; and
- Facilitate communication through the ACCT website and Trustee Quarterly, the PBSNlist serve, and publications.
Staff who support governing boards and/or presidents/CEOs of member institutions of ACCTare considered members of the Professional Board Staff Network.
PBSN members will have the opportunity to vote on the Professional Board Staff Network bylaws, officers, and other organizational business during the PBSN business meeting held at the
annual ACCT Congress.
PBSN Executive Committee
- Immediate Past President
- Vice President
Central Region: Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Wisconsin and Ontario.
Northeast Region: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Quebec.
Pacific Region: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, American Samoa, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, British Columbia and Yukon Territory.
Southern Region: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands.
Western Region: Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Wyoming, Alberta, Manitoba, Northwest Territory, Nunavut Territory and Saskatchewan.
Election of officers will be held during the PBSN business meeting at the annual ACCTCongress. PBSN Officers, elected from the membership at large, will serve one-year terms. Officer positions will be filled by advancement, i.e., President to Immediate Past President; Vice President to President; Secretary to Vice President; and, in the event the position of Secretary becomes vacant during the year, the designated Member-at-Large will advance to Secretary. The Secretary and Member-at-Large positions will be elected at the annual ACCTCongress from active PBSN members. An active member is defined as one who has attended or participated in a PBSN business meeting within the last two years. A Member-at-Large designee will be appointed from the elected Member-at-Large positions.
An ACCT staff member will serve as liaison to the PBSN executive committee.
PBSN Executive Committee Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and functions of the PBSN Executive Committee will consist of, but not be limited to:
- Guiding the affairs of the organization;
- Coordinating proposals and presentations for annual ACCT Congress forums;
- Reviewing and recommending revisions to PBSN bylaws for membership approval; and
- Other initiatives deemed appropriate for further advancement of the Professional Board Staff Network.
Duties and Functions of PBSN Officers
- Provides leadership set forth by the mission and goals of PBSN bylaws;
- Prepares the President’s Message for the ACCT Trustee Quarterly;
- Represents PBSN publicly;
- Serves as liaison to ACCT; and
- Coordinates the work of PBSN.
Immediate Past President
- Serves as Advisor to the PBSN President and other members of the Executive Committee as needed.
- Prepares articles for the Interface newsletter in the ACCT Trustee Quarterly;
- Serves as president if the president cannot serve.
- Keeps minutes and records of PBSN meetings.
- Serve as PBSN regional representative.
Note: Within the member-at-large representation, one representative will be elected at thePBSN annual business meeting to fill the vacancy of Secretary upon the resignation of any of the Executive Committee's officers. The remaining officers will advance, with the exception of the Immediate Past President.
Adopted: October 1994
Revised: September 27, 2002;
Revised October 13, 2006
October 14, 2011 (Approved at Annual Meeting in Dallas)