2021 Community College Month Talking Points for Community College Advocates
Community colleges are second to none in higher education.
Public community colleges:
- Provide higher education to students with the fewest resources and the greatest obstacles.
- Are the most in-demand institutions during and following times of economic recession.
- Are primary educators/certifiers of in-demand nursing and other healthcare professionals.
- Are there for their communities in times of crisis.
- Examples from Ohio, Nebraska, New York, Wisconsin and others throughout the country underscore their vital role in providing medical care.
- Community colleges are committed to meeting their communities’ basic needs, including access to food, housing, transportation, childcare and other services while students seek education and vital workforce training.
- Serve the most demographically and socioeconomically diverse students.
- Offer the most affordable high-quality higher educations.
- Guarantee fair admissions for all students.
- Make higher education that would be unattainable for many students accessible to all students.
- Are underfunded and need increased state support.
How Community Colleges Help During the Pandemic
Community colleges throughout the country proved their worth to their communities over the past year, as they came to the aid of students as well as to their greater communities. For example, when the pandemic took the country by storm, community colleges immediately responded by accelerating education for nursing and other healthcare students, by lending dormitories to exhausted hospital workers for needed rest, by mass-producing masks and other personal protective equipment using fabrication facilities and much more.
As the pandemic continues, colleges provided WiFi to the community in campus parking lots, hosted food banks, served as coronavirus test sites and mass vaccination sites.
This #CCMonth, make sure to let your community, including elected officials and journalists, know how vital your college has been to pandemic response.