Announcement of Newly Elected, Re-elected and Appointed Board Members and Officers
The Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) is pleased to announce the elections and appointments of new ACCT Board of Directors and ACCT Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee members and officers. All members were sworn into office on October 25 and 26 during the 49th Annual ACCT Leadership Congress at the New York Marriott Marquis in New York City.
New ACCT Board of Directors Executive Committee members include Chair Connie Hornbeck, a trustee at Iowa Western Community College; Chair-Elect Dawn Erlandson, a trustee for Minnesota State Colleges and Universities; Vice Chair David Mathis, a trustee from Mohawk Valley Community College in New York; and Secretary-Treasurer James Cooksey, a trustee at Moberly Area Community College in Missouri.
As chair of the ACCT Board of Directors through next October, Hornbeck announced two priority areas of focus for the coming year: an emphasis on deepening ACCT’s engagement with member boards and urging members to support efforts to provide educational opportunities to the 2.3 million incarcerated Americans, the majority of whom have no postsecondary education.
“It’s an issue worthy and uniquely related to the mission and value of community colleges as transformative and life changing,” Hornbeck said.
In addition to electing Executive Committee members, the ACCT Board of Directors elected five Regional Chairs to serve through the coming year. Regional Chairs are charged with serving as conduits to information among the states within their respective regions. They are:
- Central Regional Chair: John Lukas, Lakeshore Technical College, Wis.
- Northeast Regional Chair: Hector Ortiz, Harrisburg Area Community College, Pa.
- Pacific Regional Chair: John Leal, State Center Community College District, Calif.
- Southern Regional Chair: Tamela Cullens, South Florida State College
- Western Regional Chair: Kent Miller, Mid-Plains Community College, Neb.
Through regional caucuses held on October 24 and the membership-wide ACCT senate meeting convened on October 25, the membership also elected nine individuals to serve or to continue serving on the ACCT Board of Directors. Newly elected, re-elected and appointed board members include:
- Central Regional Director: Dawn Erlandson, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
- Northeast Regional Director: Robert Hydorn, Montgomery College, Md.
- Pacific Regional Director: Bernie Rhinerson, San Diego Community College District, Calif.
- Southern Regional Director: Edwin Dalrymple, Central Piedmont Community College, N.C.
- Western Regional Director: Dan Mims, San Jacinto College, Texas
- At-Large Director: Dan Altmayer, Highline College, Wash.
- At-Large Director: William Kelley, Harper College, Ill.
- At-large Director: Alton Smith, Lone Star College System, Texas
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee Chair: Judy Chen Haggerty, Mt. San Antonio College, Calif.
In addition to board elections, the Board of Directors newly elected and re-elected Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee members include:
- Central Region: Amanda Howland, College of Lake County, Ill.
- Northeast Region: Diane Dixon-Proctor, Anne Arundel Community College, Md.
- Pacific Region: Meredith Brown, Peralta Community College District, Calif.
- Southern Region: Yvonne Barnes, Trident Technical College, S.C.
- Western Region: Carolyn Thomas Morris, Navajo Technical University, N.M.
For more information about ACCT Board and Committee members, visit https://www.acct.org/page/governance.