Senior Government Relations Associate
The Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) is a non-profit membership educational organization comprised of over 500 governing boards and over 6000 trustees who govern public community, technical and junior colleges across the U.S. and abroad. The ACCT Office of Public Policy is responsible for representing the nation’s community college trustees before the United States Congress, federal government and its representatives and agencies, and other peer associations based in the nation’s capital.
This position will report directly to the Director of Government Relations. Responsibility to support the day-to-day efforts on Capitol Hill and federal agencies, work with peer associations, contribute to the messaging of ACCT’s policy agenda, and collaborate with the entire staff in the fulfillment of the Association’s mission and goals including:
- Lobby Congress and federal agencies on behalf of the Association;
- Act as a liaison to governmental and non-governmental organizations;
- Assist in organizing the annual National Legislative Summit;
- Draft articles and other member communication materials;
- Develop a variety of informational materials, including public policy positions, testimony, speeches, and other presentations;
- Conduct legislative research and issues analysis; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, government, or related field with at least 3 years related experience in legislative affairs as legislative aide, lobbyist, analyst, or staff for a government agency.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have ability to exercise sound judgment, initiative and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Must have the ability to work as a team member and able to deal effectively and courteously with supervisor, peers, and governmental agencies and their representatives.
- Must be familiar with and interested in working with elected and appointed college governing boards that represent their communities.
A highly successful candidate for this position is a self-motivated problem solver with strong writing skills and experience in workforce development or higher education policy.
ACCT offers a competitive salary, collegial environment, and comprehensive benefits. This position is a member of a bargaining unit. Please forward a letter of interest, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com. Must pass criminal, credit and professional references background check. No phone calls please.